Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I spent my second year at Young Women's camp the first week in July (the week before I moved to AZ). The called me again as the lifeguard, but added to my responsibilities to be the music leader. The lady who usually does it, Sis. King, has MS or something like that and can't walk very well and is in a lot of pain a lot of time, so she didn't feel like she could make it up to camp. So I met with her before camp to go over what we wanted to happen. Our camp didn't have song booksl, so we spent an afternoon putting songs together for camp. We also went over an evening of teaching me some of the songs I didn't know, and she made me a CD to listen to the songs and learn them. Can I just say that for a month before camp, all I sang was camp songs!!! I also wanted to make music a big part of camp this year, so I made awards (music note wands) to pass out to the year that sang the most during that day. This meant at meals, to and from activities, and whenever they could!!! I was surprised at how much this caught on with the girls. They loved it!! If they didn't know a song, they came to me to learn it!! I have never heard soo much singing in my life!! It made me soo happy!! To also let the girls know who I was and what my job was at camp, I made T-shirts that said FACE the music (with the notes F A C E on the treble cleff) and Every Girl Becomes Divine Forever (with the notes E G B D F on the treble cleff). I put my nickname on the back for fun. I also wore a sun hate, a music note scarf, and shoes decorated (by myself) with musical notes and phrases all week!! The girls loved it!! Then, for lifeguarding, I wore my dad's swimsuit from the 70's all week!! It was nice to not have a calling to be directly over a year because during certifcation time I could go make crafts, do family history, or make scarves for the humanitarian project!!! I loved it!! And the girls loved my crazy outfits!! I did bunk in the yurt (round platform tent like things) with the YCL 1's and stayed up late every night talking, telling stories and bonding with these cute girls!! It was a very fun, very dirty, very tiring, and very blessed week!!I got assigned to one of the buses going up as the adult supervision. I got to be with the first years!! They were a BLAST!!!
The first day of camp we had to introduce ourselves and what our job was at camp. So this is how I came out on stage. You can't see, but I had bright orange flippers too. I taugt the girls a swimming song to incorporate both callings!! They thought it was great!!
The back of my shirt.
A regular days musicware
I got in trouble for pretending to be pregnant, so here is me after I gave birth to George, the little orange ball, and before I had to give him back!!
One of the many crazy get ups the YCL 2's wore every night.
More crazyware.
One of my girls from seminary, Carey. She took about 12 pictures of herself (I made the mistake of giving her my camera), but I only put this one on!!
2 of my girls from the year before, AJ and Katherine. I was the 4th year counselor the year before. They are GREAT girls!!
Every night the YCL 2's put on crazy skits and did crazy games in crazy outfits!! Here is just one of them. The camp theme haning above them was Shoes You This Day. And we got pink camp shirts!!!

1 comment:

The Sorensen Bunch said...

you are so fun...maybe cottonwood will call you to sing songs!!!! no prego balls though- ha ha ha
Good job with updating your life!!!