Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Who's teaching our children what?

So today I subbed as a first grade teacher. I was thoroughly amazed at what one of my students did. So they have a lunch count that they take and write on an envelope. In the envelope the teacher can collect money from the students to pay for their lunch. One of my students gave me $2.25 to put in the envelope. I then sent 2 kids to the lunch room to hand it in. I got a call a few minutes later asking who the $.25 in the enevlope was for. I told them and then they said 'thank you' and hung up. I got a call 2 seconds later asking if the money was for hot lunch. I told them "yes" and then they told me they needed $2 to pay the whole thing. I told them is should be in there, but they informed me that it wasn't. They told me to ask the boys when they got back. When the 2 boys returned I noticed one of them take out a couple of dollars from his pocket to show his friend. I proceeded in asking him where he got the money. He told me his mother had given to him. I then told him that $2 was missing from the envelope and asked to see the money. He had exactly $2 dollars. I asked him to tell me the truth about where he got it and he told me he found it. "LIAR" I said!! No, not really, but I did tell him I was disappointed in him for not telling me the truth and I made him take the money to the lunch ladies and then sent him to the office. Can you believe that?! 6years old and already he knows how to lie and steal!! What are these kids learning at home?!

No comments: