Thursday, July 26, 2007

The knee bones connected to the . . . .


ACL!!! Yep, that's right. I had my surgery on July 5th. At least they let me enjoy my holiday with the family. It was only 2 hours long, but recovery is a bummer. Being put to sleep is the most surreal experience I have ever had. They put an IV drip in me and then wheeled me to the operating room. I saw the surgeon and said hi and that was the last thing I remember. I then remember going in and out. Having a mask on and then not. I kind of was awake and looked at my leg and saw this brace and said "Am I done?" The nurse answered in the affirmative. She gave me a pain pill after I woke up again with some apple juice. Mainly I was just confused at where I was and what was going on!!! I got moved to a kind of couch seat that could be wheeled and then they got my mom. I was still tired, but was really dizzy and sick the whole car ride home. I was in and out for the whole ride home!! I basically slept for 4 straight days after that and had my leg in a brace that goes from my ankle to my groin. It was kept straight for 4 days and then was unlocked so that I could bend it. I have to have the brace on all the time (except for a shower and at night when I sleep) for 6 weeks. I start physical therapy tomorrow and am really excited about it. I can kind of walk around now, but usually have to take a pain pill to sleep at night because my leg is sore by the end of the day. I still use my crutches for long distances and when I am not wearing my brace. I have to go to sleep right after I take a pain pill or else it makes me nauseas and dizzy. No wonder since it is twice as strong at Vicadin!!! I still can't bend it all the way, but I have four little cuts in my legs that will make four little scars. I still have a little fluid in my leg and swear you can feel the screws in my leg. It was quite an experience, but glad I am on the road to recovery.

No comments: